I found this today. If I could ever get Mose out for drinks, I'd suggest we play.
"Pitch and toss, known as The Hoy, was very popular with miners in the fifties, perhaps later, and had a little specialised vocabulary of its own. The hoyer or chucker of the two pennies sometimes had an assistant who collected the coins after each throw. He was known as a bevver and for his bevving might get a little tip if the chucker made a profit. The three possibilities were known as 2 heads (chucker wins), 2 tails (chucker loses) and 1 head, 1 tail (no one wins). The last combination, I never knew why, was called '2 bikes'.
If more than one gambler wanted to be the chucker (this could be a very expensive business, as the odds are even on winning and there could be several big bets against) then the choice was made by having the candidates throw a penny towards a marker on the ground. The mark might be a piece of paper, a little mound or a stone showing through the soil..."
from Les Gorse (courtesy of here)
(In a related side-note: "Pitch and toss" is also cockney rhyming slang for boss.)
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment